Places: Barngarla Country (South Australia)
Schurmann Creek »
As of 10 January 2013, the Geographic Names Unit of the Government of South Australia has named a creek on Eyre Peninsula in commemoration of missionary Clamor W Schurmann, "SCHURMANN CREEK". Between 1846 and 1852, the German Lutheran missionary Clamor Wilhelm Schürmann and his family resided here. While the missionary studied the local Aboriginal language, now called Barngarla and taught pupils at his small school in their own language, his wife Minna attended to a fruit and vegetable garden of which the palm tree shown here most likely has survived.
Direct URL: <www.grweb.org/cpo-pirltawardli/en/index.php?rubric=places_au_sa-barngarla>. Viewed 24.08.2019.